Idleway

IDLE WAY is a 00 4mm layout, and an end to end with a simple shunting sequence.

Three sets of points all left medium code 100, operated by my usual Dowling, drilled

Through the base board width ways and fine wire passed through the rods up to the points four sets points that are operated by one rod due to being side by side, if one set requires operating you just have to push the rod gently, if both sets need to be operated you have push a little harder.

Sprat and winkle delayed couplings are used and permanent magnets glued under the board at the end of each set of points .five sidings are used, three forward and two rear, and one hidden siding. At the end of two sidings there are isolated sections so I can use two locos, one to push, and one to pull, because there is no loop shunting is made more complex.

Five trucks and a brake van are on show for the operation, ,

Operation can be carried out at the front and rear due to the point rods being drilled through both sides of the board.

The only switch fitted is to isolate the end of the sidings. Were locos can be held?

After the track was laid a mixture of paint and turpentine was brushed onto the track sleepers. Paint colours were (humbrol black/white/green and rust) then 75%of turps mixed in and left to dry. The turps seems to give it a weathered appearance.

The yard was painted with humbrol matt black and white then brushed over with talcum powder just before it dries.

After the painting of the track the base board was painted grey with wilkos child paint black and white at 80p a bottle, this is a water base paint. a word of warning, be careful when using black poster paints near trackwork,this contains carbon which can cause a conductive effect across the track, although not causing any problem with the running of the locos but can effect the operation of electronic track cleaners, personnel experience has proved this with Sutton junction.

The ballast was next and a mixture of woodland scenic grey and brown and a little green flock dust was brushed into the track, mascking tape was placed to the outside of the track leaving a margin, a solution of pva and water was mixed, 50% of each and syringed between the tape and track, so capillary action takes place, I have found in the past this method leaves a neat job and the track requires little cleansing and also washing up liquid is not required, I have found this to discolour the ballast as I don’t paint the track afterwards. The stone and brick walls are painted in matt, black for the stone, and white for the brick, and then wiped of with a paper towel.

A disused canal has been introduced to the front of the layout; this was done by painting acrylic paints and satin varnish to cover. To acquire the ripple effect, this was done by applying the varnish and dabbing it with my finger.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments are closed.